Thursday, November 6, 2008

Shi's Tale ~ Chap 1 - Meeting Miyuki

Speaking of Miyuki, when are you posting your intro?

~~

The sound of bickering rose to my ears. A middle-aged villager was squabbling with a stall owner over the price of – the price of, well, something. My mother looked at me, smiled and uttered a single word. “Watch.”
She walked quietly towards the two quarrellers and softly began to chant. A soft blue aura surrounded the two villagers and they halted in their argument. Then, she moved back towards us. “That was the power of Soothe, one of an Aqua Cleric’s finest skills.” Nanashi whispered to me, noting my stunned expression. I glared back at him, mouthing that yes, I knew what Soothe is; I’m not a baka like he was. He scowled at me. I smiled benevolently in return.
“Ka – san! That was amazing! Wil I learn to do that when I gain my element?” I exclaimed, ignoring Nanashi. She beamed at me and said simply, “Perhaps.”
That was how my first festival began. Nanashi went off with our father to take place in a tournament. The clerics were on stand-by, in case any of the fighters sustained injury, like they always did. My mother and the other clerics were in charge of serious wounds, whereas the cleric apprentices took care of minor cuts with bandages. I was part of the latter. However, nobody seemed to be gaining minor wounds and all participants went straight to the other clerics. It was boring.
“Um, excuse me, could you help?”
I looked up. The person was speaking to me. She was a teenage girl, with short, brown hair. Two daggers hung on a belt around her waist. She was dressed in brightly coloured clothes and the cat in her arms was mewing plaintively. “Oh, of course! How may I help?” butted in an apprentice sitting next to me eagerly.
The girl placed the cat on a nearby table. “I found her on the street and her paw’s injured. The vet’s closed and I don’t want her wound to get infected...” The apprentice turned her nose up in disgust. “A mere cat? I’m sorry, but I’m not an animal healer.” She snorted.
“Oh, okay. I apologise for wasting your time.” The girl picked the cat back up again. “Come on, Neko – chan. Let’s find somebody else to take care of that scratch.” She murmured.
“Let me help.” I offered politely. Healing a cat was better than nothing, after all. She looked startled. “Really? A-arigato!”
The mewling kitten was placed back on the table. I opened a box of bandages. “I haven’t bandaged a cat before, but I should be able to do it.” I mused, disinfecting the wound with herbs. Then I wrapped a clean bandage around it. “And there you go! She just needs to refrain from running. Aren’t you a lucky kitty? This nice person helped you!” I directed the last part at the cat, of course. The cat mewled in response and licked my hand. “Thank you for helping us! Arigato!” The girl turned to leave.
Hey, I didn’t ask her name! How rude of me...
“Excuse me, but may I have your name? Mine is Nakashima Aiko.”
“Oh, I’m Miyuki, Kaori Miyuki.”
Miyuki and I smiled at each other. “I must be gone now. I need to support my brother Ichiru in the tournament. Sayonara, Aiko – chan!” I waved goodbye and proceeded to pack up the healing items I had used, ignoring the stunned stare of the apprentice who had refused to help the cat.
My mother came to fetch me after a while, saying that it was Nanashi’s fight and that I deserved to watch. I went with her, wondering what spells my elder brother had at his disposal. Miyuki’s brother, Ichiru, came to mind as well. Would I meet her again?


~~

The kitty part was taken from a game. Remember to post your intro, Miyuki!

No comments: